Skip to content
Donate Now! Press Team Souvenirs Mt. Everest Info Sponsors Contact Home
Overview Summit Team Challenge Trek Team Daily Logs/Photos

Donate OnlineDaily Logs/Photos

Use the timeline to view daily logs and photos.

October Logs November Logs December Logs January Logs February Logs March Logs April Logs May Logs June Logs


May 2003:

Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | June

May 30

Gary Guller and Nima on Everest's summitGreetings, Namaste and Tashi Delek!

Having realized my dream to stand on top of the world, I could not have wished for a better summit day. The Sherpa and I had a plan and we stuck with it when everyone else was telling us that we should move. We waited for the right time to make our push for the top. Our reward - and I do mean OUR reward - all the supporters of Team Everest - was to have the summit of Mount Everest all to ourselves.

I cannot stress enough how deep I had to dig within myself to reach this goal. We left Camp Four at approximately 8pm on May 22nd, starting out in very windy conditions, but luck changed in our favor. From the South Col to the balcony to our arrival at the South Summit, we had good weather, and continued as a team, step by step, up this great mountain. From the South Summit, traversing the Hillary Step and other extremely difficult areas, we kept our confidence while feeling the balance we were walking between life and death. We all pushed through and arrived at the summit within 5 minutes of each other. Immediately, Nima Dawa, Da Nima, Pem Tenji, Namgya and I all fell to our knees, put our heads together and cried.On the summit

In all my life as a mountaineer, I have looked up at the mountains. This was the time that I could look up no further. We were at the highest place on earth and could see everything - even the curvature of our great planet. None of us could truly believe what was really happening, that we were actually there, but is was the most beautiful site I've ever seen.

We stayed approximately 20 minutes at the summit, but knew that the most difficult and dangerous time was ahead - we still had to make the difficult descent back to Camp Four. As a left arm amputee, the descent from the Summit to the South Summit is more dangerous and requires careful balance - the route is extremely tight with steep drop offs into both Nepal and Tibet. We had stayed at over 26,000ft for two nights before our attempt, and as a result of being so long at such a high altitude, our bodies were exhausted. At approximately 7pm - almost 24 hours after our departure - we arrived back to Camp Four in the dark, absolutely shattered, but we knew we had succeeded in taking the message of Team Everest '03 to the top of the world.

We immediately made drinks to rehydrate and prepared for a night of rest before our descent to Camp Two the following morning. A couple of hours after going to sleep, I awoke to severe pain - like someone putting knives into my eyes - and I had no vision. Snow blindness. Fortunately we were safe in the tents at Camp Four, but the pain was so great, it felt like I would never ever see again.Gary G. with Snow blindness

Although I had never had snow blindness before, I knew it should pass within 24 hours provided I kept my eyes closed as much as possible. Nima Dawa and I made the decision to stay an additional night at camp Four so I could recover, increasing our stay at 26,000+ feet to 5 days. By 25 May, although still in pain, I could see again and we made the descent down the steep Lhotse Face to Camp Two.

By the time we had arrived to Camp Two, I had learned through communications with Base Camp that I had lost my friend Karma Sherpa. Team Everest '03 has always been about celebrating the human spirit and Karma believed in everything the expedition stood for. He was like my little brother - I have known his family for years and I can't express how saddened I am about losing him. My gratitude to all those who tried to save Karma's life while he was trying to descend. A very special personal thanks goes out to Gary Scott, Willie and Dameon Banegas, Christine Kane, Luis Benitez and all the Sherpa who assisted in the rescue attempt.

South Col Salute!On May 26th, Nima Dawa and I made our final descent to Base Camp with very heavy loads and hearts to our awaiting team. I cannot thank you all enough for your inspiration through your prayers and emails while we were on the mountain: CTD, our sponsors and the entire TEAM of supporters. There is no way we could have succeeded without you all.

As Tenzing Norgay said, "Be great, but make others greater." We have a long way to go to change the stereotypes that are still associated with those with disabilities. Please support our message in the future. It is simply the right path.

I'll be on my way to the US soon [still awaiting flight confirmations] and I look forward to speaking to everyone who has supported our message. See you soon!

Best Wishes,
Gary Guller


May 28

Gary Guller and the team arrived back in Kathmandu early this morning US time and joined Gary Scott, who had arrived a few days earlier. They were very tired but doing well, and looking forward to feasting at the Rum Doodle tonight, Gary particularly since by tradition he gets to eat and drink for free.

The 50th anniversary of Hillary and Norgay's first summit of Everest is tomorrow. Festivities culminate with a ceremonial gathering of Everest climbers hosted by Prime Minister Lokendra Bahadur Chand, who is the king's appointee; a tea attended by King Gyanendra and Queen Komal; and a banquet with the crown prince and princess. All those who have climbed the summit of Everest are guests of the government.

The entire team says hello and appreciates the calls and emails of congratulations and condolences. While we all are gratified by the historic achievements of the Team Everest expedition, our feelings are tempered by the tragic loss of our friend Karma Sherpa.

We'll keep you posted over the next few days with news. Many thanks again for your support.


May 24

Gary Guller on IcefallAustin man reaches Mount Everest summit
Gary Guller becomes first person with one arm to climb to the top world's highest mountain.

By Pam LeBlanc, Austin American Statesman

Hours after completing his quest to become the first person with one arm to scale the world's tallest mountain, Austin climber Gary Guller sipped tomato soup and drank tea at a camp high on Mount Everest.

Guller, 36, and four Sherpas reached the 29,035-foot peak just after noon Nepali time Friday, or about 1 a.m. Friday Texas time. It took them 17 hours to climb to the summit from Camp Four, at 26,000 feet, through what is known as the "death zone" because of its thin air and treacherous conditions. All were healthy, happy and well afterward, according to a dispatch from base camp at the foot of Everest.

Guller's accomplishment comes just days before the 50th anniversary of the first time the summit was reached, on May 29, 1953, by Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay. Guller will stay in Nepal to attend a convention of Everest summitteers on that day — which is also his wedding anniversary.

His exhausted but ecstatic wife, Joni Rogers, got the good news at about 2:30 a.m. Friday at the couple's Austin home. She said she was relieved her husband made it safely to the summit and hoped she could soon talk to him by phone."We've been living and breathing this for years," she said. "I look forward to him getting back home."

Another climber in the expedition, Gary Scott of Colorado, turned back about halfway through the climb. Expedition members say he became weak because he was trying to reach the summit without supplemental oxygen. He was safely at Camp Two, lower on the mountain, by Friday morning.

Guller, who lost his left arm after a mountaineering accident 17 years ago in Mexico, tried to climb Everest two years ago but had to turn back because of bad weather and avalanches. He is the third climber with a serious disability to scale the peak. Tom Whittaker, a below-the-leg amputee, made it in 1998; Eric Weihenmayer, who is blind, reached the summit in 2001.

The Sherpas on Guller's summit team were Nima Dawa, Namgya, Pemba Tenzing and Da Nima.

Christine Kane, base camp manager for the expedition and a teacher at the Texas State School for the Deaf in Austin, said pandemonium broke out when she and others at the foot of Everest received word by walkie-talkie that the team had reached the highest point in the world.

"As our cheers resonated through base camp, the other expeditions from all the surrounding camps cheered right along with us, showing their admiration for our accomplishment," she wrote in an e-mail dispatch. "As I looked out over camp, hundreds of thumbs up and hands were waving to me."

Guller's summit effort was part of Team Everest '03, organized by the Coalition of Texans with Disabilities to shatter the misconception that people with disabilities are not strong and capable. In March, a group made up mostly of Texans, many of them with disabilities — including five who use wheelchairs and others who were deaf or missing limbs — trekked 30 miles to base camp of Everest at 17,600 feet.Most of them returned home, and Guller then began his altitude conditioning and other preparations for the summit assault.

Guller and his wife run an adventure travel company, Arun Treks & Expeditions. His climb was supported in part by Presco Products of Dallas, Pfizer Pharmaceutical, ESI Mortgage of Austin and the Texas Society of Architects.

Dennis Borel of the Austin-based Coalition of Texans with Disabilities called the trek a historic first. "I think it gives inspiration to anybody who wants to take on challenges that may seem impossible," he said. "People are going to look at this and say, 'I'm going to have to change my opinion on what people with disabilities can do.' "

Gov. Rick Perry commended Guller's determination. "He serves as a reminder to all that society should never place limits on the ability of the human mind or the potential of the human spirit," Perry said.

More than 1,200 climbers have reached the summit since Hillary and Norgay's expedition. At least 175 have died trying. Climbers battle avalanches, falls, altitude sickness, hypothermia and disorientation on their way to the top.

A record number of climbers — about 100 — tried to reach the summit this year, but winds of up to 100 mph stymied anyone from reaching the peak until this week. The teams must be off the mountain by the end of May, before monsoon season begins. Bad weather repeatedly delayed Team Everest '03's summit bid.

An informal homecoming and fund raiser for the Team Everest '03's $272,000 expedition is planned for 7 p.m. June 5 at Mother Egan's Irish Pub, 715 W. Sixth St. in Austin.

Contact Dennis Borel at 512/478-3366 M-F (other times at 512/431-1656) or for further info about the homecoming event, TE '03 or the advocacy work of the Coalition of Texans with Disabilities.


May 23

Hello from Base Camp!

Almost 24 hours later, I am ecstatic to write to report our TEAM EVEREST '03 SUMMIT SUCCESS! At 12:15pm Nepal time, Gary Guller, Nima Dawa, Namgya, Da Nima and Pem Tenji stood at the top of Mount Everest and the world to proclaim the amazing message of Team Everest '03! It was a long and difficult road, both mentally and physically, but they did it!

We had a long, sleepless night getting progress reports every 2 hours via our Camp Two Cook, Pemba Tenzing, but it was worth every second when we heard the voice of our one-armed leader from the summit! Needless to say, pandemonium broke out here at base camp! Three people were on the radios - Loben Sherpa, Dawa Sherpa and Puru Dorjee Sherpa - all screaming at the same time, effectively blocking each other out. Myself, Buddhi and Nima (our amazing base camp cooks) were cheering and hugging, and all the while, Gary Guller was trying to tell us about his summit success.

As our cheers resonated through base camp, the other expeditions from all the surrounding camps cheered right along with us showing their admiration for our accomplishment. As I looked out over camp, hundreds of thumbs up and hands were waving to me. The support, understanding and solidarity of the message of Team Everest '03 and respect for the team was truly a sight to behold!

Gary reported that all the summiteers are healthy, happy and well in Camp Four enjoying a hot bowl of tomato soup and some Sherpa tea. Their bodies are tired, but exhilarated by their amazing accomplishment. They felt every ounce of your positive energy and encouragement.

Team members Gary Scott and Karma Sherpa are safe in Camp Two. Gary Scott did not reach the summit, but he reports having no disappointment. He and Karma will be back at base camp tomorrow.

A door has been opened: the message of the unlimited ability of people with disabilities has been demonstrated. Now it is up to each of us to make sure that this message is not forgotten. "To infinity and beyond!" - Buzz Lightyear

Christine Kane
The Proudest Base Camp Manager on the Mountain



Austin climber first with one arm to scale Everest
By LEE HANCOCK / The Dallas Morning News

Austin climber Gary Guller became the only person with one arm ever to scale Mount Everest Friday, standing atop its 29,035-foot summit nearly 50 years to the day after it was first reached.

Mr. Guller arrived at the peak of the world’s highest mountain at about 12:15 p.m. Nepal time (2 a.m. Dallas time), just over 17 hours after starting his final push from a camp at 26,000 feet, his expedition’s base camp manager said in a brief interview by satellite telephone Friday morning.

"Communications have been really difficult,’’ said base camp manager Christine Kane, a teacher at the Texas State School for the Deaf in Austin. ``But we heard him say, `it’s beautiful up here!’ ’’

The feat caps an odyssey Mr. Guller began in mid-March by leading a team of 10 Americans and two Nepalese Sherpa with conditions ranging from lost limbs to quadriplegia on a grueling trek to Everest to shatter popular misconceptions about people with disabilities. Reaching the summit alongside the 36-year-old Austin man were four Nepalese Sherpa climbers [Nima Dawa, Namgya, Pemba Tenzing and Da Nima].

"We are all cheering and celebrating. You can hear people all over base camp yelling "woohoo!’ for us and for Gary,’’ Ms. Kane said.

Ms. Kane said sixth team member, professional mountain guide Gary Scott of Colorado Springs, Co., was forced to turn back before reaching the peak because he was climbing without using supplemental oxygen and felt too weak to continue safely without it.

Only a small fraction of the 1,200 people who have reached Everest’s peak have done so without supplemental oxygen.

Mr. Guller, who lost his left arm in a mountaineering accident in the 1980s, first tried to climb Mount Everest in 2001 but was turned back when fixed ropes in the first and deadliest section of the mountain, the Khumbu icefall, were torn away by an avalanche.

He decided to make a second bid this year, organizing his Team Everest 03 expedition with the Coalition for Texans With Disabilities to draw international attention to the potential of people who live with physical challenges.

Team Everest 03’s expedition began in mid-March with a 23-day challenge trek, in which five Americans in wheelchairs, five others with disabilities ranging from lost limbs to chronic pain conditions, and two Sherpas with lost limbs climbed with a group of U.S. an Nepalese supporters and helpers to the foot of Mount Everest.

Several Challenge Trek members were forced to turn back because of altitude-related ailments and other problems, but seven people with disabilities made it with Mr. Guller to Everest’s base camp at 17,600 feet.

Dennis Borel, executive director of the Coalition for Texans with Disabilities, said early Friday that Mr. Guller’s accomplishment crowned an effort that drew wide attention and praise in across the U.S. and Nepal.

"I am so delighted for him, for all of them, for all us. This is the best thing any Texas group in any field has done this year,’’ he said. ``His making this last step, making that summit, will attract a whole new wave of attention to the message that people with disabilities can be involved in every human endeavor.’’

With his climb, Mr. Guller became the third person with a significant physical disability to reach the summit. In 1998, Tom Whittaker of Arizona, a leg amputee, reached the top, and in 2001, Eric Weihenmayer of Colorado became the first blind Everest summitteer.

George Martin, general manager for, an Internet website that has become a leading source of information on Everest expeditions, said Mr. Guller’s achievement is "pretty incredible’’ – particularly given the difficulty of conditions on the mountain this year.

The 50th anniversary of Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay’s first successful climb to Everest’s summit has drawn a record number of climbers. Some estimates have suggested that more than 400 people could try to summit before the brief window of good spring climbing weather closes in early June with the arrival of the annual monsoon.

But severe weather – including days of hurricane-force winds – prevented anyone from reaching the top until this week, when the first climbers reached the top from the northern or Tibetan side. The Nepal Ministry of Tourism reported on Thursday that 35 people reached the summit on Thursday from the southern route first traveled by Mr. Hillary and Mr. Norgay.

"Given the number of people on the mountain and the weather, it’s been a hard year to summit. The window is not wide open. These summits have been in very difficult conditions. Because of the high winds, you have to expend so much physical energy,’’ Mr. Martin said.

"It’s an incredible achievement for a person with this sort of severe disability to do what Gary has done,’’ he said.

Mr. Martin said Mr. Guller’s efforts in getting the Texas-based group of disabled people to Everest’s base camp had "impressed and touched’’ many in the mountaineering community. He added Mr. Guller’s Friday summit accomplishment will "probably encourage more people with disabilities to reach out and attempt to do more.’’

Mr. Guller and his team had hoped to reach the summit early in this year’s climbing season, well before the May 29 anniversary of the first climb. But poor weather conditions repeatedly delayed Team Everest 03's summit try.

At one point, Mr. Guller and a climbing Sherpa went from base camp to Camp 1 and found that at least 70 percent of the tents set up there by his and other expeditions had been flattened or blown away by winds that some reports said exceeded 100 mph.

In email dispatches and a phone interview from base camp several weeks ago, Mr. Guller said he and his Sherpa partner then spent a night being battered by another bout of extreme winds, each using their bodies to keep their reconstructed tent standing.

Mr. Guller left base camp for his final climb up the mountain on May 17, and had originally hoped to summit by midweek. But he and his team decided to wait for several days at a camp at 26,000 feet, an altitude so extreme that it is known as the death zone, because of poor weather conditions and concerns that too many other climbers were trying to go for the summit.

But on Friday, Ms. Kane said, the weather at base camp was clear and calm, and conditions higher up on the mountain appeared to be far better than in previous days.

"We talked to them last night and they said it was beautiful,’’ she said. ``They were feeling good and raring to go.’’

Contact the Team

Media Hotline / Interviews / Sponsorships
Contact Dennis Borel at 512/478-3366 M-F (other times at 512/431-1656) or for further info about TE '03 or the advocacy work of the Coalition of Texans with Disabilities.


May 22

Namaste! It is 9:48pm here at Everest Base Camp, and our Camp Two Cook just received word from our climbers, which he relayed to me. Gary Guller and Gary Scott along with our climbing Sherpa departed Camp Four at 7pm (approximately 8am this morning CST) and began their climb to the summit!

From Base Camp, the skies are clear and full of stars. They reported a little bit of wind higher up, but so far the weather seems to be cooperating. You all know what to do - think positive thoughts, cross your fingers for great weather and visualize success for our amazing team!

This team is like nothing I have ever witnessed, let alone been a part of before. The Sherpa here at Base Camp and I speak often about the amazing experience of the Challenge Trek and how it changed us all for the better. We are now reaching the climax of the second phase of this amazing journey, which will hopefully change many more lives and policies. The message of the unlimited potential of individuals with disabilities will be shouted from the top of the world for all to hear - I know you will be listening.

Gary G., Gary S., Nima Dawa, Namgya, Karma, Tenji, and Da Nima have touched me in a way that I never expected. I am a better person for knowing them and being a part of this expedition. I am confident that the rest of the world will say the same as these amazing and dedicated people push their bodies and minds to the absolute limits in order to spread the message that no one, regardless of ability or disability, should be denied their dreams or freedoms!

Now is the time. We here on the mountain and at CTD need you more than ever. Reach down deep to support us financially and in spirit as we make history!

More dispatches to come as I get news from the mountain. It is going to be a long, but wonderful night!

Christine Kane

PS The Sherpa language lesson as promised for all the students keeping your language notebooks! The theme is clothing: mojyha. pants:kanum, gloves:laksuk, socks:mocha, shoes: juta, hat: shamu (like the whale!), down jacket:chabu jacket (yes, they use some English words because there isn't an exact Sherpa word), glasses: mixel, boots: juta, sunglasses: nima mixel. As you get dressed, see if you can remember these words!

Media Hotline / Interviews / Sponsorships
Contact Dennis Borel at 512/478-3366 M-F (other times at 512/431-1656) or for more info about Team Everest '03 and the advocacy work of the Coalition of Texans with Disabilities


May 21

Gary Guller on IcefallGreetings and Namaste!

First of all, a huge thanks to all of you who continue to support us through these terribly difficult days. Just got off the walkie-talkie with Gary Guller. The team is still at Camp Four - they have decided to spend two nights at 26,000ft in order to increase their chances of a successful summit.

Many teams tried last night, but had to retreat below the south summit due to bad weather. Some teams abandoned their expeditions today, but we are in it to win it! In the words of Gary Guller, "It is bloody difficult to live this high". But they are doing it as a team, doing it well and for all the right reasons - to bring our message to the TOP! Both Gary Guller and Gary Scott are healthy and in good spirits (thanks to all of you out there!) They feel strong and are sure that the Mountain goddess is going to allow them a safe and successful summit.

Here at Base Camp, we are hanging tough and supporting our climbers. ABC Nightline News paid us a visit today and interviewed Gary via walkie-talkie. They were impressed with our hospitality and had wonderful things to say about our campaign and our message. Be sure to tune in on May 29th for their coverage of the 50th anniversary of the first successful summit!

Gary Scott at BCWe've come up with the top five reasons we want to stay here at Base Camp just a little bit longer:

5. We love sleeping on a bed of rocks!
4. -10 degrees is now our comfort zone!
3. We need just a few more days to perfect our "hat head"!
2. It really is such a LONG walk down!
1. We really are holding out for a yeti sighting!

Anyway, we are staying strong and positive and we feel all the good wishes coming from all of you across the miles. If we all just think GOOD WEATHER - I'm sure it will come and mighty Everest will open herself to us and our amazing message to promote the abilities of all people regardless of disability or ability!

A message to:

Challenge Trek members Put your heads together and send us that vibe that we all felt on the trail and when we reached Base Camp that amazing April day.

CTD All you amazing people must have some pull with the mountain gods and goddess - get to work on that!

Team Everest '03 sponsors and supporters You have been good luck for us in the past and I know you can do it again for us now!

All the students at Texas School for the Deaf, Easthampton Middle School, Dripping Springs, Manchaca Elementary, Jefferson Elementary School and in Latvia, Japan and around the world - Cross your fingers for us!

Climbing Sherpa depart BCIt is 8:04pm in Nepal. I am in my tent and will be in touch with Gary Guller again tomorrow at 8am. You can be sure I will be sending all the details and news when I get it.

Talk to you tomorrow!
Christine Kane

PS I promise to also include a Sherpa language lesson in the next dispatch - I actually already got the words from our Sherpa, but I left them down in the dining tent but it is snowing and I am too LAZY and cold to go get them now - SORRY!

Media Hotline / Sponsorship Info
Contact Dennis Borel at 512/478-3366 M-F (other times at 512/431-1656) or for further info about TE '03 or the advocacy work of the Coalition of Texans with Disabilities.


May 20

Tashi Delek from Camp Four!

Our fearless climbers Gary Guller, Gary Scott and the high altitude climbing Sherpa have made it to Camp Four at around 26,000ft (7,900m)! Though they are exhausted, they're enjoying lots of hot Tang and soup.

Due to the overwhelmingly large number of climbers attempting the summit tonight, Gary Guller has made the wise decision to hold off their summit attempt until tomorrow night. Going tonight would likely mean a huge traffic jam right below the summit, which would add unnecessary hours to their already exhausting summit schedule. Safety first! That means we can all make a collective exhale and begin holding our breath again tomorrow. The good news is that weather reports are forecasting clear skies and little wind for tomorrow night, as well!

Christine Kane at BCAlthough this change in plans is a smart decision, any last minute schedule changes are always a little bit disheartening and unsettling. However, the team remains strong in its conviction to bring the amazing and important message of Team Everest '03 to the top of the world - nothing will stop him! The ascent from the South Col (Camp Four) takes a grueling 12 hours - minimum! Our team has a lot to think about and rest up for. Your support, encouragement and positive summit thoughts are more important now than ever.

Please keep us in your thoughts and stay tuned for the excitement tomorrow night. As always, a huge thanks to all the people supporting us, and helping keep us strong and focused!

Goodnight and talk to you tomorrow!
Christine Kane


May 19

Lhotse Face from C3Namaste and RaRa noodles to everyone!

We are one HUGE step closer to the top of the world! Gary Guller, Gary Scott, Nima Dawa, Namgya, Da Nima, Pem Tenji and Karma Sherpa are safe and sound in Camp Three at 24,000ft (~7,400m)! The team tackled the steep, icy Lhotse Face, and is now enjoying some hot bowls of RaRa noodles for dinner. They will spend the night re-energizing, rehydrating and contemplating the next big step of their journey - the climb to Camp Four at 26,000ft (~8,000m) tomorrow morning.

Despite previous acclimatization, existing at these heights is quite difficult and stressful on their bodies. The team (and all of us here at BC) continue to need your positive thoughts as we prepare ourselves for the most difficult days ahead. And of course, CTD continues to need your financial support as we embark on bringing the important message of the abilities of people with disabilities the top of the world! As always, we would never be where we are today without the unwavering dedication of our corporate and private sponsors, not to mention the individuals who have contributed in so many ways to make this campaign a success.

Here at BC, we are crossing every extremity possible and sending a wave of positive karma up the Mountain. With each contact on the radio, we cheer on our friends and offer them as much support as we can muster. We also read them the amazing emails that are coming in daily. As the mountain saps their strength, we try to replenish it with your words of encouragement. We also tend the juniper fire next to our stupa as a continuous offering to the Mountain to allow us safe passage through her door.

A true friend of mine, Anne Duke-Shaw at the Texas School for the Deaf sent some inspiring quotes that I think fit perfectly with where we are right now. Gary1, Gary2 and the climbing Sherpa drew lots of inspiration from these words. Thank you so much, Anne.

Juniper burning at BC stupaIf you can DREAM it, you can DO it. - Walt Disney

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. - Les Brown

The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it. - Moliere

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end. - Ursula K. Le Guin

On that note, goodnight and I'll be in touch tomorrow!

Christine Kane
Base Camp Manager

May 18

Hello from Camp Two!

Myself and Gary Scott, along with our amazing climbing Sherpa are on the move! After climbing from Base Camp to Camp Two yesterday, we took a rest day today and will ascend up the Lhotse Face to Camp Three tomorrow (5/19).

As we have been on the mountain for close to 60 days, the serious mental aspect of this expedition is coming into clear focus. We have spent countless hours climbing through the Icefall, acclimatizing in tents at high camps, hydrating and getting our bodies and minds prepared for the days ahead. Now more than ever, we appreciate the encouraging words and thoughts from all our supporters. We look forward to hearing your positive emails via walkie talkie from Christine at Base Camp over the next few days while we are at the high camps. Please write us at

For all our financial supporters out there: As we push our minds and bodies to a place they have never been before, now is a good time to continue your support of Team Everest and CTD, to reach into your pockets to support this worthy cause and organization. It takes a dedicated team - both on the mountain and back home - to do what we are doing to promote the potential of all people, regardless of ability or disability, and to make positive changes throughout he world. Unless we all work together as a team, these positive changes will never take place.

Please keep fingers crossed and send lots of positive karma our way as we face the difficult days ahead taking our message to the top of the world. More after our challenging ascent up the Lhotse Face to Camp Three!

Gary Guller
Dictated via walkie-talkie from Camp Two

Media Hotline / Sponsorship Info
Contact Dennis Borel at 512/478-3366 M-F (other times at 512/431-1656) or for further info about TE '03 or the advocacy work of the Coalition of Texans with Disabilities.

<< Previous

Back to Timeline

Next >>